Saturday, January 14, 2012

The problem with "make" instead of "stock pile"

Should there be some kind of natural disaster or something that forces me and my family to bug out (called the shit hitting the fan, or TSHTF for those new to this whole thing), I'm the kind of prepper that doesn't stock pile a whole lot.  I want to grow, make, create, or hunt what I need.

There are a lot of pros and cons to this.  On the Pro side, prepping this way is decidedly less expensive.  Not only that, but learning how to create, I'm not even dependent on my specific bug out locations (BOLs) and could really bug out anywhere.

That said, doing things this way does have its Cons.  The biggest of which to my mind is in "operations security" (OPSEC).  In other words, gardens are visible.  I live in ski country so my garden would need a green house during much of the year... which is still yet more visible.

Now, I have a plan for dealing with those things "as much as possible".

What I'm getting at here with this quick Saturday post is that there is no "perfect" or "right" way to prep and each method has its separate pros and cons.  What is VITAL is for you to understand is the weak points are with even the METHOD you are using to prepare for some kind of disaster.

Knowing where you're weak can help you either fill those weak points or somehow use those weaknesses as an advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment